Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Where there is love... (Burundi proverb)


My Natti is afraid of the dark. I have always found the darkness very suffocating and have recently been thinking of a plaque I used to have on my bedroom wall which comforted me when I was younger. I wanted to make something special to hang on her wall to make her feel less afraid.


I was browsing online for quotes and found a gorgeous photo of mother and son here. The words inspired me to create this for Nat's wall.

It came out a lot darker than I thought, and I'm not sure if it's quite what I envisaged but it is finished. I've been looking at it for a week and can't decide if it's staying or going on etsy... I guess it has already served its real purpose - getting me away from marking assignments for a few hours and showing my girl that I love her.


First I cut the heart out of a sheet of navy felt, then I used chain stitch to embroider the words. I layered some red-tone fabric scraps underneath the heart and sewed everything together, finally using gold cord and a gold tone heart to spell the word love in the centre. I stretched it over an old painting I did a few years ago on canvas.



Nat seems to like it - she volunteered to turn out the lights herself the other night, "cos now I'm berry, berry brave".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thanks for stopping by :)